VisaScreen®: Visa Credentials Assessment
Who is this service for?
The following health care professionals who are educated outside the United States and who are seeking temporary or permanent occupational visas or Trade NAFTA (TN) status:
• Registered nurses
• Physical therapists
• Occupational therapists
• Physician assistants
• Clinical laboratory technicians (medical technicians)
• Clinical laboratory scientists (medical laboratory technologists)
• Speech language pathologists
• Licensed practical or vocational nurses
What does this service do?
Section 343 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (the IIRIRA) of 1996 requires specific health care professionals complete a screening program before they can receive either a permanent or temporary occupational visa, including Trade NAFTA status. This screening includes:
- • an assessment of an applicant's education to ensure that it is comparable to that of a U.S. graduate in the same profession
- • a verification that all professional health care licenses that an applicant ever held are valid and without restrictions
- • an English language proficiency examination
- • for registered nurses, a verification that the nurse has passed either the CGFNS Qualifying Exam®, NCLEX-RN® or its predecessor, the State Board Test Pool Examination (SBTPE)
Applicants who successfully complete VisaScreen® receive an ICHP VisaScreen® certificate, which satisfies the Federal screening requirements.
VisaScreen® certificate holders who have not obtained a permanent U.S. visa or become a United States citizen are required to renew their certificates prior to the five-year expiration of the date the certificate was issued. The renewal application needs to be submitted six months prior to the expiration of the VisaScreen® certificate. The cost for renewal is located in the table below. Download the renewal application (PDF), or apply online. Instructions are located in the Program requirements (PDF).
English requirement waived for certain VisaScreen® renewal applicants
Beginning 1 March 2010, applicants renewing their VisaScreen® certificate who can demonstrate employment in the United States (in the health care profession that is designated on their certificate) do not have to take another approved English exam if the following is met
• The period of employment must be for at least 27–36 months, including nine months of the year before the date that your renewal application is submitted. Your employer needs to submit and sign an employment summary on corporate letterhead for the English requirement to be waived.
How do I apply?